Travis Scott’s Astroworld Tragedy Under Criminal Investigation as Death Toll Rises to 9

Last Friday’s catastrophe at Travis Scott’s Astroworld concert is now under criminal investigation. More details have been released about the crowd surge, which resulted in nine people dead and hundreds injured. Also, a 9-year-old boy was hospitalized and is in an induced coma. More than 50 lawsuits have been filed to date.

An investigation into whether or not all safety protocols were followed is underway. The operational plan for the event did not include anything about crowd surging, a common occurrence in packed crowds. The lawsuits claim that organizers failed to take simple crowd-control steps and staff the event properly.

Houston’s police and fire departments maintain that they fully completed their duties but faced disunity from event authorities. 

Houston Police had warned Scott and his team prior to the show that there could be problems. They also notified event staff of the serious problem just minutes after Scott took the stage. 

Houston Fire Department was on-site. However, they were not inside the festival and were not given radios for direct communication. Instead, they were provided a list of pertinent cell phone numbers.

Fire Chief Sam Peña shared that some 300 people had been treated by on-site medical personnel throughout the day. There were “many instances” where they administered Narcan, which is used to treat a narcotic overdose.

Police Chief Troy Finner shared that a private security guard was injected with a foreign substance as he was attempting to grab to restrain someone. Narcan was also administered to them.

Scott has since “apologized,” but the internet is not buying it. He issued both a written statement and a video, but people quickly realized that the apology was insincere. Many believe he was reading from the notes app on his phone.

Twitter did not hold back.


One user pointed out the similarities between Scott and his child’s mother’s apologies, calling them “PR apologies.”

Scott has taken some responsibility for the incident, promising to pay the medical bills of those injured. However, his attorneys want to make sure everyone knows that Scott shouldn’t be the only one to blame. His legal team pointed out that no one on Scott’s team had the authority to stop the show. They say that authority lies solely with the festival director and executive producers.

Scott’s attorney Edwin F. McPherson said, “Investigations should start proceeding over finger-pointing so that together, we can identify exactly what transpired and how we can prevent anything like this from happening again.”

Event promoter Live Nation is also named in many of the lawsuits. According to the Associated Press, they released a statement Monday that it is helping police with a criminal investigation and “will address all legal matters at the appropriate time.”

Festival grounds and the stage where Scott performed are still standing as authorities continue to investigate.

Join The Discussion

Related Posts